The purpose of the HighMark Charter School dress code policy is to help promote school spirit and unity, prevent socio-economic discrimination, and create a learning environment free of unnecessary distractions. HMCS’s objective in establishing a business casual dress code is to allow our students and employees to work comfortably while projecting a professional image that will enhance the learning environment, encourage appropriate school behavior and prepare the students for appropriate dress in the workplace.
Policy: The dress standard at HighMark Charter School will require all students to adhere to this policy during school hours, games and field trips. Clothing must be clean, in good condition, and sized appropriately. Anytime students are presenting in class or representing the school, they need to dress appropriately in business attire. Part of the grade for presenting will be to dress in business attire.
- Sheer or lace clothing need a sleeved shirt underneath
- Long enough to tuck in
- No tank tops, turtleneck or mock turtleneck tops, sleeveless, halter tops, pajamas, hoodies and midriff tops
- Modest dresses can be worn with or without a collar
- Coats/jackets may not be worn in class or to use as a collar
- No frays or holes (with or without "windows")
- Underclothing may not be visible
- Shorts, dresses, and skirts are modest length – 2 inches above knee
- Shorts or leggings are recommended under skirts or dresses
- Skirts need a collared shirt
- No athletic bottoms: basketball shorts, running shorts, bike shorts, yoga or parachute pants, no exercise pants with logo, stripes, sheer, etc.
- No sweats, warm-ups, pajamas or leather material will be worn
All accessories should complement the outfit without distracting from the educational process. Scarves can be worn with a collared shirt. No hats, chains, spike on chokers, backpacks or clothes, hoods, bandanas, headbands with anything but jewels or bows, or sunglasses will be allowed. Distracting hairstyles and hair colors are not permitted. No shoes with wheels, slippers, open-toed (elementary only), or high heels will be permitted. Body piercing is limited to one pair of earrings only. Coats/jackets may not be worn in class. No torn, frayed or cut-off clothing is allowed. No gang related items, colors, etc. are allowed.
Junior High Physical Education Classes:
Black athletic shorts or pants. Plain grey t-shirt with or without school logo. Tennis or athletic shoes required. Underclothing may not be visible.
Casual Friday & School Spirit Days:
- Spirit Days: Home Game days will be Spirit Days or when authorized by administration. Students should wear a HighMark t-shirt, collared shirt, or hoodie.
- Casual Fridays: Each Friday is a free dress day. You can wear a shirt without a collar. All grooming, modesty and other standards will still apply.